Thomas W. Kivlahan
Tom is experienced in all aspects of the Cook County decedents’ probate system, including intestacy, contested estates, claims, and family disputes. Tom also advises new and established businesses regarding management issues, sales, acquisitions, succession planning, financing, contract, and real estate transactions.
An Arlington Heights native, Tom lives near downtown Arlington Heights with his wife, Liz O’Kelly, and their rescued Golden Retrievers, Lilly and Belle. Tom and Liz’s son, Chris, attends the University of Iowa.
Arlington High School, Class of 1979
A.B. from Georgetown University in 1983
J.D. from University of Chicago Law School in 1986
Leadership & Honors
- Village Bank & Trust, Director
- Northwest Suburban Bar Association
- Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation, Chicago Council Member
- Journeys from PADS to Hope, Volunteer
- SMART Recovery Meeting Facilitator
- Lawyers Assistance Program, Volunteer
- Rainbow Hospice, Volunteer
- Northwest Community Hospital Planned Gift Committee Advisory Council
- 2009 Arlington Heights “Duffer of the Year”
- 2005 Arlington Heights Chamber of Commerce Business Volunteer of the Year
- Arlington Heights Special Events Commission, 1999-2008
- Arlington Hearts of Gold Awards Dinner, Master of Ceremonies
Favorite Fictional Lawyer
Frank Galvin (“The Verdict”)
Tom was featured on Episode 97 of Arlington-Prospect Advice Givers podcast. Here he tells the story of DKMO’s founding and discusses the importance of local businesses giving back to the community.